Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
University Relations and Development at San Diego State University is committed to upholding, as a foundational belief, a supportive working environment of inclusion that values, honors, and respects, all members of our team and the University community.
We strive to engage in and promote the fair and equitable recruitment and training of URAD staff members, develop meaningful relationships with all groups in our diverse campus community, and share philanthropic stories that highlight the impact of and opportunity for diverse giving by our SDSU community.
University Relations and Development firmly believes that an inclusive environment facilitates critical and creative thinking, and that differences in identities, values, beliefs, and perspectives are fundamental to our mission of generating philanthropic support for the university and its student body.
Within University Relations and Development, the term diversity implies a respect for all and an understanding of individual differences and other characteristics protected by applicable state or federal law, so that all members of the community are treated at all times with dignity and respect.
We value diversity and inclusion in the working environment and believe it is vital to the fulfillment of the university’s mission.
The University Relations and Development Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee is committed to upholding, as a foundational belief, a supportive, inclusive, working environment that values, honors, and respects, all members of our division and the University community. The mission of the DEI Committee is to foster an environment of inclusion, critical and creative thinking, and support, that is vital to the fulfillment of the university’s mission.
- The Diversity Equity and Inclusion committee will create and implement a divisional DEI Plan to support divisional and campus efforts to create an inclusive learning environment.
- The Committee will support training efforts to equip all employees within University Relations and Development with the tools and awareness to improve the division’s climate as it relates to diversity and inclusivity competencies and establish a working environment centered on respect for all.
- Encourage diversity in giving to SDSU by showcasing diverse philanthropy through donor stories of individuals from underrepresented minority backgrounds or philanthropic efforts that support diversity on campus.
- Collaborate cross divisionally and share with the greater San Diego State University community stories, initiatives, and engagement efforts that support a culture of diversity and inclusion.
- Showcase URAD’s efforts by preparing an annual Diversity, Equity and Inclusion report to be shared with the division and campus community.
- The committee shall consist of representatives from each administrative unit in the division, appointed by each administrative unit head. If at any point an administrative unit does not have a representative on the URAD DEI Committee due to staff changes, etc., the DEI Committee Chair will notify the appropriate administrative unit head(s) and ensure a new representative is appointed.
- The terms of service of committee members shall be two years, with no limit to the number of consecutive terms served. It is the responsibility of the committee member(s) to notify the DEI Committee Chair if they wish to renew their service or retire from the committee.
- The DEI Committee Chair shall be selected by the Vice President for University Relations & Development, preferably from existing DEI committee members. Nominations can originate from committee members or self-nomination.
- The DEI Committee shall meet at minimum once per month from November 2020 - February 2021, and at minimum quarterly thereafter.